Should you buy or lease a new car? The advantages and disadvantagesBy Kijiji Autos
You’ve found the new car of your dreams while browsing on Kijiji.
You’ve done your research and the test drive, and you’re ready to take the plunge on a new car. Now the sales rep asks you the big question: Do you want to buy or lease the car?
Both choices have their pros and cons. It’s your decision, of course, but you should take the time to weigh the options.
Purchasing a car is an investment. It’ll set you back, but there are advantages to buying.
1. The car belongs to you: After a set period, the car is yours. You can then resell or keep it without having to make monthly payments. Better still, if you keep the car for a few more years, you’ll probably save enough money to make a decent down payment on your next car!
2. No mileage limit: You drive a lot and enjoy Sunday outings with the family. If you own the car, you don’t have to worry about how much mileage you’re putting on the car.
3. Lower interest rates: Most manufacturers offer more attractive rates when you’re buying than leasing. Take the time to compare them.
1. Higher payments: In general, monthly payments on a purchase are higher than those on a lease. It’s a major consideration if you’re on a tight monthly budget.
2. The warranty will expire: You hope to save money by keeping your car for a few more years, but you could end up paying for repairs that are no longer covered by the warranty.
3. It’s more trouble to upgrade: When the time comes for a newer model, you’ll have to trade in or sell the car if you own it. Kijiji’s used car sales guide will help, but you’ll still have to do some work.
Leasing a car is a long-term contract that also has advantages and disadvantages.
1. Lower monthly payments: Manufacturers often make tempting installment offers that can add wiggle room to your monthly budget.
2. You can upgrade more easily: Do you have a 36-month lease? At the end of your contract, all you have to do is return the car to the dealer and start the process to lease a new one. Simple!
3. Worry-free driving: Your vehicle is always under warranty, which can be a weight off your shoulders!
1. Higher total cost: You pay interest on the total value of the vehicle, and you’ll have to pay a residual amount at the end of the contract if you want to keep the car. Once the calculations are done, you’ll see that a lease can cost more than a purchase.
2. Be careful about its condition: A car with too much wear and tear will be expensive to return because you’ll have to pay for the damage.
3. Limited mileage: You’ve signed a contract limiting the distance you can cover. If you go over, you’ll have to pay an extra mileage fee that can be substantial.
So, lease or buy? Your dealer knows the various options well and can take you through them. All that’s left is to make the choice that’s right for you.
Easily find your next ride on Kijiji AutosSearch now
Everything you need to know about financing and leasing your next car
Shopping for your next car online is fun. Figuring out how to pay for your next car is not. When buying a vehicle, you have a few payment options for what is likely the second most expensive purchase you'll ever make: financing or leasing (or paying cold, hard cash if you have it). Not sure which...
How to buy your next car online in Canada
As manufacturers and dealers recognize that the global pandemic is a long-term reality, the auto industry is rolling out more services to buy a car online in Canada. From the comfort of your own home, you can easily browse the latest models, apply for financing, make a purchase and get your brand...
10 popular SUVs and crossovers in Canada
There's no doubt that Canadians navigate a wide variety of weather and lifestyle conditions every day. This makes a fun, practical and comfortable SUV or crossover a solid vehicle choice, from coast to coast. Listed in no particular order, check out these 10 popular SUV and crossover models to...
The best features of 10 popular hatchbacks
If you are in the market for a hatchback, you'll want to check out this overview of these 10 models and the features that make them so popular. Kijiji Autos will help you confidently choose between the best hatchbacks, including used, sporty and hybrid models – whatever is a priority for you.
10 popular vans in Canada
Cargo vans and minivans can meet the needs of many drivers. There are plenty of models to choose from at various price points, which can make it difficult to pick the van that's right for you. Whether it's passenger capacity or cargo space you're after, Kijiji Autos is here to help with your search.
Top 10 popular pickup trucks in Canada
The pickup truck has always been a symbol of utility and strength, and lately, many models have become luxury family vehicles that leave nothing to be desired. In no particular order, these popular brands represent a range of available features, engine types and towing capacities. Check out the...
10 popular sedans in Canada
Sedans are versatile vehicles that meet a variety of driving needs. Are you looking for a sedan in your area? With so many different styles, sizes and price points to choose from, it can be difficult to pick a model from such a long list of award-winning vehicles. In no particular order, these...
What you should know about these 10 popular wagons
If you are looking to buy a wagon, explore Kijiji Autos list of these popular models, and the features that make them a great choice for your next car. This list is in no particular order and will help you easily choose between great wagons, whether you’re looking for luxury, affordable, small...
9 popular coupes in Canada
Sporty and sleek, the coupe is a popular two- or four-door car that puts the fun back into driving. Fuel-efficient and compact, this body style is designed for performance. Are you looking for a coupe for sale near you? In no particular order, here is a list of 9 popular coupes in Canada...
7 popular convertible cars in Canada
Convertibles are fun and adventurous cars that are perfect for cruising around when the weather is great. Are you looking to buy a convertible? From roadsters to off-roaders, convertibles (or cabriolets) are a great choice for those who love driving for its own sake. Can't decide which...