It’s all in the details: how to keep your car looking new with car-detailingBy Kijiji Autos
A detailing is first of all a deeper cleaning than a usual car wash, that not only removes visible dirt, but also grime and build-up that can damage your car over time. This is an important step in routine car maintenance that should be done every four to six months to keep your car in optimal condition and prevent expensive wear and tear from occurring later. A thorough detailing offers a variety of benefits that both improve the appearance and value of your car, lengthen its lifespan and keep it safe to drive. If you’re looking to sell your car, it is also a great investment that instantly raises the sale value of your vehicle. After all, you want it to look its best when you show it to prospective buyers! If you’ve just bought a new car yourself, a detailing can give it that bright new look you want.
The Steps of Detailing
There are different options you can choose from when you have your car detailed, depending on your budget and needs.
· The most important step may be the paint care. Detailing the exterior of the car cleans build-up off the metal body, which helps to preserve the paint, which in turn protects the metal and prevents rust from taking hold. A finish with a sealer or glaze, and then car wax provides extra protective layers that help the car’s clear coat of paint to fend off harmful contaminants. A good detailing job also helps to correct any imperfections in your vehicle’s paint, giving it a shiny new look.
· Also vital, detailing the chassis and wheels especially helps to lengthen the lifespan of your car, as these areas are particularly prone to picking up dirt and salt from the road.
· The exterior trim can polished for a sleek look, and headlights and taillights will be properly cleaned and buffed. This step is particularly important as dirt or grime on your lights can cut down on visibility and lead to unsafe driving conditions.
· Car interior cleaning gives it that pristine, fresh feel, cleaning away any dirt, dust, stains and odors. Leather seats may be conditioned as well as the dashboard to prevent cracking and wear.
· Detailing the engine bay helps to remove build-up for a bright and clean look, and keeps rubber and plastic components supple to decrease wear and tear.
How To Pick A Detailer
Finding the right detailing location is key to getting a quality car cleaning. Check each businesses reviews to see what customers are saying, or ask friends who they might recommend. Price is often an important aspect, and you can expect to pay from $100 up to $500 or more for detailing, but try to opt for quality over savings, as this is an investment in your valuable vehicle! You can check to see if your car’s dealership offers detailing options at a preferential price as well.
Does your car need an oil change? Everything you need to know
Your car’s oil pulls double duty. Not only does it act as a lubricant for the mechanical parts of the car, but it also protects the engine. The oil prevents the build-up of small particles that form every time the car is started. In addition to the particles it collects, the engine oil goes...
Get your car ready for the winter
Winter tires, anti-freeze… prepare your vehicle now for the cold months ahead. Editor’s note: This article has been newly updated. Here are 10 tips to get your car ready for the rigours of our icy roads. 1. Install winter tires Designed to grip better on cold, snowy and icy roads, with better...
5 car wash tips to make your car really shine
We’re happy to tell you it isn’t magic. The important first step to keeping that new-car look is to wash your car regularly. Doing this prevents dirt from building up, which can happen quickly in Canada’s temperamental climate. There are five more tricks of the trade that will help you elevate...
How to maintain your car's engine during the winter
If you want a safe and smooth driving experience during the harsh winter months, a well-maintained engine is essential. Fortunately, a little bit of effort goes a long way. Here are our top tips to help you keep your engine running smoothly through the snowy months. Your well-being remains our...
Why is my car shaking when I brake?
Whether you feel a slight tremor in the steering wheel when you’re braking, or your whole car starts shuddering when you press that brake pedal, this is not an issue to be taken lightly. Functioning brakes are essential to your safety while driving, and it’s important to resolve the issue as soon...
Getting your car ready for spring
As the weather shifts from winter's snow and chilly temperatures into a warmer season, it's time to go over your vehicle and do an auto check-up to get your car ready for spring. Editor’s note: This article has been newly updated. From the refreshing tradition of a Spring cleaning to more...
How to plan a classic Canadian road trip in your hybrid or electric car
From the Atlantic seaboard to the vast expanse of the Pacific ocean, the beauty of Canada's landscape has beckoned drivers to explore the country, inspiring some of the most epic road trips. If you want to add your name to the growing list of cross-country travelers, here's how you can prepare...
What are glow plugs and what do they do?
You might hear the term glow plug and immediately think that it's just a fancy name for ""spark plug"", and a mechanic is trying to make your car trouble sound worse than it is. But don't be misled: spark plugs and glow plugs (also spelled ""glowplugs"" or ""glow-plugs"") are actually different.
5 Apps that will make your car smarter
Not everyone drives cars with in-vehicle technologies like some of the newest models with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but that doesn't mean you can't add a little intelligence to your ride. Using your smartphone and some handpicked apps, you can drive around with in-car smarts that will rival...
What do my car’s safety features actually do?
With every passing year, safety systems in vehicles continue to become increasingly complex. New cars now come standard with a number of safety features that would have been considered premium add-ons only a few years prior. While some newly developed innovations are still optional—for the time...